Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

Right or wrong?

This country has never been in such an appalling state financially, (not in the lifetimes of most people alive today anyway,) and yet we are giving away almost a BILLION pounds to other countries for vaccines, because we apparently 'promised them we would.'  Most other countries are not giving this much; and some are giving none at all...  America, Germany and France put together are not giving as much as us.

So do you agree that it's a good idea?  SHOULD we be giving this money away?

They triple uni fees, they try and boot every possible person off disability and they try to tear apart our NHS, to try and 'save money,' and yet almost a billion is being given away to other countries. But should we give it, to show goodwill and because we are probably still better off than some other countries...???

So.... is it right or wrong???

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Cupcake:
Originally Posted by cologne 1:

I don't like any of the options because there isn't a resounding 'yes'.

The second option is 'yes.'

Only mildly and with conditions. I've seen African poverty at first hand and we will never match up to that kind of need, so yes, especially as there will be a different way of paying which means that the dictator doesn't get his sweaty hands on it.

cologne 1

It will help save 1.4 million lives over the next 5 years.Children are dying of preventable diseases ,which is wrong.

Gavi will make sure that 80% of monies will be spent on vaccine,and the other 20% will support the health workers there.

Is this a foreign indulgence, should we get our own house in order,I'm torn to be honest.

FM

Only mildly and with conditions. I've seen African poverty at first hand and we will never match up to that kind of need, so yes, especially as there will be a different way of paying which means that the dictator doesn't get his sweaty hands on it.

You're wrong.  It says yes, ... there's no 'conditions....' 

FM

You're wrong.  It says yes, ... there's no 'conditions....' 

Yes.. It's OK to give it, because although we are suffering somewhat.

That's not a straight forward 'yes'.

cologne 1

Whatever you say or think Cologne, it is a YES.. 

And....there's no 'conditions'  I can see we aren't going to agree on this, but the second option is a yes.  There are no conditions...  I made the poll and I can tell you that the second option is a yes.  So if you think YES, then tick that one.  If you don't want to partake, then don't...

FM

This country has never been in such an appalling state financially, (not in the lifetimes of most people alive today anyway,)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes it has  and  its still one of the richest countries on earth, so let   not pretend that not having  a new telly  / car/ house/mince instead of steak.. is in any way comparable with kids dying  from preventable diseases , just cos they aren't  our kids.

jacksonb

emphatic yes. spending billions on vaccines is a darn sight better than the spend on hardware like tanks and missiles to police the world's ideas. healthy nations (hopefully) become wealthy nations and more consumers of stuff we might want to peddle to them (the affluent west might be able to recoup their investment, if that makes you feel better cupcake).

Mighty Quinn

Someone on radio 2 said this afternoon on this very subject that "charity begins at home"!!

Asides from the obvious "this planet is our home!!" there is also a case to be made for.. this isn't even charity! It's simply [starting to] repay[ing] a debt that we owe to the world for all the robbing we did(do) to maintain our standard of living.

Though I'm astounded that the US have committed less

Ensign Muf

Well I'm going to disagree with most here I think.

Yes it's right that we have a foreign aid programme and yes, we do owe a lot of reparations to developing countries for all the damage we did in the past but.........

I don't think we should fund one THIRD of the entire programme which is what I heard on the news yesterday. What's wrong with expecting all the other old colonial powers like Spain, Portugal, France etc to do their share, not to mention the USA, the richest country on earth by a good long way.

And as for Bill Gates giving a million. The Parable of the Widows Mite comes to mind

FM

no-one really lives in poverty here like they do in foreign lands but i think its a bit much or maybe it isnt-i dunno

i think i'd prefer it if the money wasnt just doled out to the countries involved and the UK public could see clinics set up so we could see the money being used properly and for what it was meant for-not for some despot buying a new rolls royce etc..a bit like comic relief, when they show you where the money has gone-id be more than pleased to see kids getting well etc..

and if im wrong in anything ive said dont moan lol

pirate1111

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.